The music of Fleetwood Mac (5 of 7)

Album: Mirage (1982)


Gypsy - Fleetwood Mac


Can’t Go Back - Fleetwood Mac

Hold Me - Fleetwood Mac

Empire State - Fleetwood Mac

Love in Store - Fleetwood Mac

That's Alright - Fleetwood Mac


The 80s saw Fleetwood Mac venturing increasingly into radio-friendly soft rock. By this time Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had each commenced a solo side-career, the former to multi-platinum #1 success with 1981's Bella Donna, the latter faring not as well with his first outing Law and Order (US Billboard #32). I haven't listened to the solo stuff yet. Gypsy was accompanied by a lengthy video, the highest-budget music video ever produced at the time.
Overall, the album doesn't hit me on an emotional, gut-level, as some of Fleetwood Mac's 70s work did, but Mirage (1982) has a number of pleasant enough tunes. I disagree with people ranking it among their worst.


Readers, have you listened to Mirage? Which are your favorites from this album?

4 comments:

  1. "Gypsy" is one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs. It's a beautiful song. I don't think it's Fleetwood Mac's worst stuff. Especially if you compare it to the post-Buckingham/Nicks stuff the band did in the early 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: "Gypsy" is great. I agree Mirage is stronger than Behind the Mask (1990) and Time (1995). I don't know what this guy was smoking, ranking Mirage last, to each his own I guess:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Fleetwood-Studio-Albums-Ranked/lm/R1PWMT2O5XZKYH

      Delete
    2. That guy is a moron. He has no idea what he's talking about. BTW, heard the new Bowie album? It's fucking amazing.

      Delete
    3. @thevoid99: Bowie's two comeback singles, Where Are We Now? and The Stars (Are Out Tonight) I agree are excellent. I haven't got itunes, look forward to full album once it arrives on spotify in my area(in the next few weeks I'd say)

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails