Film review: Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken (1991)


A brief review today. No spoilers. An inspiring true life story set in the 1920s and 1930s. I think this is my first Disney review on movies and songs 365!
A confident runaway orphan Sonora (Gabrielle Anwar) joins a travelling stunt show, her youth and inexperience stand in the way of greater things. There are several twists to the story I won’t spoil here.









The old-fashioned story stayed with me, I haven’t written many nostalgic write-ups lately, and Wild hearts can’t be broken certainly has a nostalgic feeling for me. A forgotten gem of the 90s.

The characters are likeable and Gabrielle Anwar is as cute as she was in the famous tango scene in Scent of a woman (1992) below. Gabrielle Anwar has an ageless quality, she can play a 15-year-old, or a 25 year-old, and its surprising she didn’t become a bigger star.


The diving horse shows I thought were well done, and I myself didn’t even know such shows took place in real life. I’ve read the idea of the diving horse was developed in Texas by 'Doctor' William F. Carver, a marksman who had toured in Wild West shows. Diving horses soon became a staple of state fairs and carnivals around the US. Today they are rare, as animal rights organizations don't approve.

An above average production, they really paid attention to the look and cinematography of the film:















Several people on IMDB call it their favourite movie of all time growing up, and I can understand why. Probably most suited for teenage girls or women due to the horses, but it’s definitely a family movie everyone can watch with plenty of colourful characters.

I recommend it, if you are in the mood for a light and entertaining coming-of-age tale. A movie you can get emotionally involved in, and which can make you smile. The title is also pretty memorable I think.

Readers, any thoughts on Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken? Have you seen it, or do you want to see the movie?

IMDB

Rottentomatoes

3 comments:

  1. Will put it in my incredibly long list of movies to watch. Seems interesting enough.

    Niels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty. Darn it! I haven't even gotten around to Newsies and Jeremy yet and now I have to add this one.

    Gabrielle Anwar is now on the TV show Burn Notice. Kind of a second wind like Robin Tunney is getting with The Mentalist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @niels85 : Yep, its good for Disney, an enjoyable family film.

    @Michael Troutman: ok, that explains what happened to Gabrielle Anwar. Kind of the Laurence Fishburne deal, making a few bucks on TV.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails