Best songs of 1980 (part 11) (black female singers)



I already shared tracks from Diana Ross' album Upside Down, and below are three more albums from 1980 by black female artists I listened to. A suitable time to give one's attention to with Black History Month in February.



Album: Me Myself I by Joan Armatrading
Listen to: 
Me Myself I 
Is It Tomorrow Yet 







Album: Warm Leatherette by Grace Jones 
Listen to:
Pars (Jacques Higelin cover)
Private Life (The Pretenders cover)





Album: Fame soundtrack by Various Artists

Fame won the Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song. Michael Gore also won an Oscar for Best Original Score.

Listen to:
Fame performed by Irene Cara
Hot Lunch Jam performed by Irene Cara and cast







Best songs of 1980 (part 1) (part 2) (part 3) (part 4) (part 5) (part 6) (part 7) (part 8) (part 9) (part 10) (part 11) (part 12) (part 13)


6 comments:

  1. Fame is such a great song...and movie. Need to revisit the music of Grace Jones. She was too out there for me when I was 9. Imgine that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Wendell: Yes, Fame is a classic. The Fame movie I wasn’t so keen on except the joyous spontaneous dance sequences.

      That was very young! Warm Leatherette is decent but not Grace Jones’ best. I may do a top 10 of her songs this year.

      Delete
  2. I love the Fame soundtrack. That was probably one of the most brilliant 80s soundtracks. Poor Irene Cara went through so much for that soundtrack. If I recall correctly she quit music after that album b/c of how they treated her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @msmariah: That treatment of Cara sounds harsh! I’ll google her to see what happened to Irene Cara’s career. All I know is she had 80s hits from various soundtracks (Fame, Flashdance, D.C. Cab)

      Delete
  3. Love the Fame mentions. My favorite from the film would be "Out Here On My Own".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Josh: Thanks for sharing your pick from Fame. Just gave it a listen again. Irene Cara’s has a beautiful voice.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails