The music of Fleetwood Mac (4 of 7)

Album: Tusk (1979)


Sara - Fleetwood Mac



Brown Eyes - Fleetwood Mac

Over & Over - Fleetwood Mac

Tusk - Fleetwood Mac

That's All for Everyone - Fleetwood Mac


How do you top the biggest selling album of the 70s? Well Fleetwood Mac didn't try to. Tusk (1979) was more experimental and didn't sell as well as Rumours (1977). Although it is probably one of their most underrated albums, which they spent a long period of time on, costing over a million dollars to record. It was the most expensive rock album made up to that point.
Fleetwood blames the album's relative failure on the RKO radio chain playing the album in its entirety prior to release, thus allowing mass home taping. In addition, Tusk was a double album, with a high list price.


Listeners, thoughts on the album? Which are your favorites from Tusk?

8 comments:

  1. I've only heard a few sings including the title track and Sara. I heard that it was very underrated. Largely as it was the album largely driven by Lindsey Buckingham who really wanted to go into a very different direction. Yet, it didn't work commercially as the band went into more safer territory with their next 2 albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @thevoid99: About five tracks I'm enjoying, Tusk is a bit of an uneven album I'd say, quite a few forgettable tracks as well.

      Don't forget Welcome Oblivion - How To Destroy Angels studio LP is out March 5th. Thanks for telling me about EP.

      Delete
    2. Why would I forget about that? Anything related to NIN is in my radar though I'm more excited about NIN returning to tour later in the year.

      Delete
    3. @thevoid99: ha ha I had a hunch you'd be listening to it :) Welcome Oblivion is a really solid, atmospheric album, I thought. Listened to the early stream at pitchfork.

      Delete
  2. I'm still dipping my toes into Fleetwood Mac, but this album (on first listen) hasn't really worked for me. Going to give it another shot. I absolutely love the track Tusk, but for some reason that's the only stand out for me with this album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jaina: The double LP Tusk is a mixed bag, I would agree. Rumours (1977) is usually regarded as Fleetwood Mac's best album. Their studio albums 1975-1987 are all worth the time.

      Tusk is a great tune-the music video is also worth a look. "Brown Eyes" is the one I can't get out of my head at the moment. "Sara" is also on heavy rotation.

      Delete
    2. I just saw the documentary Sound City by Dave Grohl, It's about the famous LA recording studio of the same name, and there is an interesting segment about the origin of Fleetwood Mac in it that I'm sure you would love.

      Delete
    3. @Bonjour Tristesse: I haven't seen that documentary, it's on my radar now.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails