The music of Fleetwood Mac (3 of 7)

Album: Rumours (1977)


Stevie Nicks on the experience of making the album:
"Go back and think of your really serious passionate relationship of your life that completely falls apart. You don't see that person the next day. With us we spent 15 hours in the studio, and everybody is completely upset, and go home, and be back to work 10 hours later, in that room, in a tiny room"


Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac

Stevie Nicks:
"Gold Dust Woman is a little bit about drugs, it was about keep on going, it was about cocaine. Since I haven't done any cocaine since 1986 I can talk about it now"




Silver Springs - Fleetwood Mac




Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
(I prefer the cover by The Corrs)

Stevie Nicks:
"Dreams was hopeful, it saw the break-up coming, but it was hopeful that we would be okay. Unlike Go Your Own Way which was not hopeful we would be okay. (...) I don't make up stories, they have to be real"

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac

Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac

Songbird - Fleetwood Mac

You Make Lovin Fun - Fleetwood Mac

I Don't Want to Know - Fleetwood Mac




This album is unquestionably a highlight of the 1970s. At the time, Rumours was the biggest-selling pop album to date. The only problem is the songs may be too familiar through their repeated exposure on radio. Listeners, any thoughts on the music? Which are your favorites from Rumours?


Quotes:
Classic Albums: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (1997)

10 comments:

  1. For me, my favorite songs from that record are "Gold Dust Woman", "The Chain", "Second Hand News", and "Songbird".

    ReplyDelete
  2. @thevoid99: Love most of those tracks you mentioned. I almost picked The Chain. Second Hand News I found a bit whiny, maybe it will grow on me over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great album and easily my favourite by the band. My favourite song has to be one of my all time faves - Songbird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dan: A great album indeed. I'm still pretty new to the band, having listened to all the studio albums recently, Rumours is tough to top!
      I think I saw in a documentary that some of Fleetwood Mac tear up when they play Songbird to close concerts.

      Delete
  4. Great tunes. "Go Your Own Way" always makes me think of Forrest Gump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Robert: Thanks for listening. Forrest Gump soundtrack is epic, so many classic tracks, I had forgotten "Go Your Own Way" was on that.

      Delete
  5. Didn't expect that a break-up can actually produce something so strong. I love 'Go Your Own Way', and 'Dreams' I actually agree with you, I love The Corrs cover better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andina: Yep, sometimes emotional turmoil can work against you, other times fuels creativity. I love those tracks too.

      Delete
  6. I like the album as a whole, definitely one of the best important albums in history. I remember listening to the album after seeing the Glee episode dedicated to the album, back when Glee was watchable. Go Your Own Way hooked me instantly. I also love the beautiful Songbird. You Make Lovin' Fun makes me feel good. I also love The Chain and Dreams. These are my favorites, but as I said before I like the whole album. Amazing how they managed to make it considering all the drama. They were really determined to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cristi B: Happy to hear you are enjoying the album too! I think Rumours will go down as Fleetwood Macs masterpiece, and definitely among the best albums from the 70s. So many great tracks, which are still powerful today. Didn't know it was used in Glee.
      There’s a lot of optimism in “Go Your Own Way”, and “Don’t Stop”, I guess everyone can use that as motivation.

      Delete

What do you think about the post? I look forward to hearing from you. Rest assured I will reply soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails